Resulting Trust Claims

Sometimes property is held in the name of one person, but at law belongs to another. A legal claim can be made to have the property “result back” to the rightful owner. The most common example of this is a joint bank account held between a parent and adult child. Where certain conditions are met, the law will presume on the death of the parent that the account belongs to the parent’s estate and not to the surviving account holder.